Lawn Mower Restoration

Victa Model 18 Restoration

I've just got hold of three Victa Model 18 mowers, and the plan is to restore all three of them as one project.

History

The Victa Model 18 was sold between 1957 and 1960.

Here are a few photos of what the Victa 18 looked like when it was new. This is a beautifully restored mower - by someone I haven't been able to identify - if this is your, please let me know - I would like to credit you for your wonderful work.


And here is a picture of "The Triplets" when I got them.





21 March 2015

Removed the engines....






Let the Cleaning Commence:

Gave everything a good degrease, scrub, hose and then off to the Sandblaster. They came up pretty good!!

Took the petrol tanks down to Redi-Strip - Holy Snappin' Duck Sh!t Batman!! They wanted $30 each to dip them!!!! Bugger that!! I took them home and done it myself with an angle grinder and a plastic stripping disk. I will strip and prep the inside of the tanks with POR-15 Petrol Tank restorer - Its expensive - but I've used it before and its damn good!!





And that is pretty much where I got up to before I had to leave for Port Douglas - (yes - I was forced to go and live/work in a tropical paradise for a year - damn!!!)



22 August, 2015

I am back in Sydney for 4 weeks holidays - so now I plan on getting them prepped and painted - I guess most people know (but often choose to ignore) the fact that a paint job is only as good as the preparation put into it. I'm hoping to get The Triplets looking really good, so I'm putting a lot of prep work into them.



28 August, 2015

All the Handlebars, Handle Bar Clamps and Fuel Tanks got a quick sanding - they had started to develop patches of rust because they'd been sitting there so long - so I got rid of those with a bit of sanding and steel wool.

If you have a look at the "before" photos - you'll notice that the bar clamps had the usual holes drilled through them, so I filled them with some auto filler - plain old bog - hope it handles the vibration OK - should be OK - these old girls won't be having a tough life from here on in. So bogged, and sanding, sanding and more sanding. I always get carried away with the bog and end up sanding for hours - which is a real bummer - but at least they came up quite well.

So a bit more sanding for good measure - and then a few coats of Primer/Filler to try and smooth things out. Followed by a good sanding to try and get things as nice as I could - as we all know - but often choose to ignore - a paint job is only as good as the preparation work that goes into it.

I was really quite happy with the way the came out - so then - and I don't know why I do this - I gave everything a good couple of coats of White Knight Rust Guard Red Oxide Spray Paint. I guess it might help to reduce corrosion in the future - but the truth is I have used it a lot in the past and got pretty good results - so now I use it for everything I do.

So everything has received three coats of Red Oxide and I'll give it a good sand (to roughen it a little bit) before I put on the Hammerite Dark Green Hammer Tone Paint.

And here's how they are looking now.....